Marriage to the eyes of many repressed Muslim women is an agreement between her father and her husband. Her father governs her life for her when she is young and after marriage, her husband takes control. She has to do as he pleases. However marriage is not just a paper contract, Islam considers marriage as one of the most virtuous institutions. The Koran says, “And one of his signs is that he created mates for you from yourselves, so that you may find peace of mind in them and He ordained between you love and compassion.” In addition, the Koran states that men are protectors and maintainers of women. However, this does not mean that men are masters to be blindly obeyed as most men interpret for their own benefit. Women are greatly respected and protected in many ways pertaining to marriage. In order to safeguard the economic position of women after marriage, Islam has made it obligatory on the husband to pay her a reasonable amount as dower. This is to strengthen her financial position. Furthermore, with regards to domestic duties, according to strict Islamic injunctions, it is not obligatory for a woman to cook for her husband and feed her children. The prophet once said, “Women are like pleasing roses, that their grace and tenderness deserve special regard from men.” And so they are! Written by: Natasha Latiff
My father and I. We have very different views on women. My father believes that women, no matter how high their education are, turn out to be home makers in the end. And therefore, he puts a lot of pressure on me, HOUSEWORK AND COOKING.
As a daughter, I don't agree. As a female, I disagree further. I can't blame my father for having such a mindset. He was brought up in such a setting/society and he has gone through 2 wives.
I understand the need for a person to be equipped with such skills; housekeeping and cooking. It is also a skill for survival. But I don't see the need on being sexist. Seeing that domestic duties are only meant for females. Domestic duties need the use of physical strength. God, He made men biologically stronger physically. They have a bigger heart, to pump more blood through their body. They have more muscle mass.
So tell me, Why is it that females have to bare all the domestic work? Why do maids have to be (majority) females? When will the society ever change their mindset on women?
Heyho. I'm not asking for equality here. I'm asking for some logic and fairness.
If I have a daughter, I'll raise her in both environments. The BLUE, but less of the PINK.